Wednesday 6 April 2011

Experiment #1 - Create A Popular Post

<<  Previous Experiment        Next Experiment >>

My initial thought is that I should find out what is super hot on the web right now and create a detailed post about it.



My theory is that if lots of people are using these search terms, maybe they'll come across my post.

I searched Google to see if I can find out what is hot in the Internet right now.  I came across a neat Google feature called Google trends that does just that.





It tells me that Glenn Beck is leaving Fox and that the Hotness level is "On Fire".  I recognize the name, but I don't really know who Glenn Beck is.  Even so, this sounds like something that I should capitalize on.


I'm going to get some facts, maybe some gossip, some links, definitely a picture and I'll add lots of labels to my post.

I've got to run now to write my "Glenn Beck" post, but I'll be back later to update this post to let you know how it worked out...


UPDATE:

Okay, it is now 1:48am.  I've learned a bit about Glenn Beck.  I wrote a post about Glenn Leaving Fox News based on information I read in a bunch of news articles.  I went to Wikipedia and gathered some interesting facts which I also included.  I figured that links to other sites may help so I included a bunch that I had found by doing a Google search.

View my Glenn Beck Post here

Then I decided to expand upon the experiment.  Firefox 4.0 was just released a couple of weeks ago and already about 60 million people have downloaded it.  That means a lot of people must be searching for Firefox.  And now with people searching for Fox news, I thought I'd try a post that combines the two.

View my Fox News / Firefox Post here

After creating the posts, I read recent Glenn Beck postings from news sites and left the following comment on those sites...



I don't think this will be the last we hear of Glenn Beck.

- Mike
www.mikesblogexperiment.com

The sites I left this comment on were:
  • Chicago Breaking Sports
  • Wall Street Journal SpeakEasy
  • EW.COM
  • Christian Science Monitor
You'll notice how I have the site name in my signature line.

I would have done more , but a lot of them need you to sign up.  This seemed like too much trouble for Experiment #1.

I just did a Google search and it looks like some of this has paid off.  This is the first time a search for mikesblogexperiment.com has returned a hit in Google!




FURTHER UPDATE

Well, it has been around 40hrs since my Glenn Beck Posts went up.  I got very few hits as a result and I can't find my posts ranking anywhere near the top 20 on Google.

I'm re-thinking this strategy.  By picking such a hot topic, I'm competing with thousands of other more established sources.  Perhaps Google knows that I'm a brand new blog with a minuscule amount of posts and they rank me accordingly.  I'll leave the posts up and we'll see what happens, but in the meantime it is time to move on with some more experiments...

No comments:

Post a Comment